Link:lore (Jezze)

I could not be more excited to bring you Jesse today who has two shops, jezze and jezzeprints.  I first found Jesse when I was considering opening my own etsy shop; she has a wonderful tutorial about block printing on fabric on her blog, and was even kind enough to answer a few questions over email for me.  I'm forever grateful for her kindness, and am delighted to share her work with you.




1.  Why did you decide to open an online shop?
To be able to make something in the morning and have it up for sale (and sometimes even sold) is amazing.  It feels like I can spend more time making, and less time physically trudging from shop to shop or working a market stall.  Although an online shop still takes time, because there's photographing, listing, emails, I can do all of that in my studio, and it becomes part of the making process.  I can be a little bit of a control freak, too, so the more I can do myself, the more I enjoy it.

And as a musician friend once told me: "There might be 20 people who love what you do, but what are the chances of them all living in the same town as you?"

2.  Who/what inspires  you?
Old appliances that are still working 50 years later.  The Pixies.  Tintin.  Neal Stephenson.  Stop-frame animation, it doesn't matter what kind.  Undoing the seams on vintage clothes and finding the unfaded colours of the original print.  Things I find lying in the street - photos, bits of ceramics, cloth offcuts.  Weeds.  Junk shops, old and new.  Today, a mixed bag of spools of sewing cotton I got for a bargain price, with the unlikeliest pinkish-red right next to a bright blue-green...  I'd never have thought that would work.
 
                            Thanks so much Jesse!
signature.001

5 comments:

Jan 5/18/09, 7:22 AM  

Great feature, Sam. I love Jesse and her work is just divine - a very supportive woman indeed! Love her comment about finding the original colors btw the seams of a vintage garment! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown 5/18/09, 9:06 AM  

Thanks for sharing Jesse's work with us. I love it as much as I do yours!!!!

Rhiannon 5/18/09, 2:30 PM  

awesome post, love that blockprinted cotton tape, i could definitely use that for a variety of crat projects!

Dizzy 5/19/09, 1:13 AM  

Love Jesse's work, especially the block prints!

Heather Moore 5/19/09, 8:57 AM  

Jesse is amazing and I love her work. Great to read more about what inspires her here. Thanks!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP